In All Things, Jesus
East Somerset is a community of people who believe Jesus is alive.
In light of this, we exist to bring glory to God by developing fully devoted followers of Jesus.
We believe that a “fully devoted follower of Jesus” is someone who has been changed by the gospel of Jesus, given a new identity, and grows daily to be more like Jesus.
The gospel is the story of God reconciling and redeeming a broken creation and fallen creatures to Himself through the life, death, resurrection and future return of Jesus Christ. Our hope and desire is that the gospel would stand at the center of all that we do. This good news changes everything.
It is what directs and defines us.
It is our identity.
Connecting the Gospel to People's Lives
The gospel story fuels everything we do here at East Somerset. Jesus is the good news and He fuels our worship, shapes our community, and compels our service. We are a church that wants to equip the body to be better disciples and disciple-makers.
The church of Jesus is extremely diverse and vibrant. Each local congregation has its unique cultures, resources, and ministry philosophies. It is the task of each local congregation to identify it's strengths and gifts and then best leverage them to fulfill the great commandment and great commission. At East Somerset, we take this seriously and we articulate our ministry culture through a set of core values that shape the way we do ministry.
1. We will worship God with all our hearts, souls, and minds. We will be a worshipping church and will leave no doubt that Jesus is our Lord, and rescuing King. Jesus is the focus of our worship and our gatherings will be marked by the freedom we have in Christ.
2. We will be spiritual contributors, not just spiritual consumers. Our church exists for all of us and all the world, not just me. We believe it’s an honor to sacriﬁce for Christ and His church.
3. We will do whatever it takes to reach people who don’t know Christ. Without becoming less Godly and righteous, Jesus left all and sacrificed all to reach the lost and has called us to the do the same. We will do anything short of sin to reach people who don’t know Christ. The gospel message is for everyone and we will endeavor to avoid obstacles to the life-giving message.
4. We are faith-filled, big thinking, risk takers. We’ll never insult God with small thinking and safe living. To reach people no one is reaching, we want to be willing to do/try things no one is doing. We’d rather fail than not try.
5. We are all about the local Church. We can accomplish more together than apart! We believe the local church is the hope for the world. We are the hands and feet of Jesus. We will love and serve our city like Jesus loves our city. We will be leaders in meeting the physical, spiritual, and emotional needs of those in our city who desperately need healing.
6. We believe excellence honors God and inspires people. We will strive to be excellent in everything we do.
7. We will laugh hard, loud and often. Nothing is more fun than serving God with people you love. We will be a people of grace. We will be known for what we are for, not what we’re against. There are already enough jerks in the world. The story of Jesus and the power of His spirit at work within us is enough to keep us busy. We do not have time to tear down, belittle, or rail against things or people who are far from God. Instead, we pray to be light and salt in our community. Empowered by the Holy Spirit, we strive to be people who are among the most winsome, life-giving, and uplifting; standing in stark contrast to the cynical, jaded, and angry world around us. We will laugh hard, loud and often. Nothing is more fun than serving God with people you love. We will be a people of grace. We will be known for what we are for, not what we’re against. There are already enough jerks in the world.
8. We will submit, individually and corporately, to the Word of God as the final authority for what we believe and how we behave. The Scriptures are our rule for faith and practice. The Bible to us is not simply a book of rules, virtues, or heroes to emulate, but it’s a story of redemption, a story of a rescuer, story of a Savior. It is the primary way in which God speaks to us and we affirm our desperate need to live in submission to it.
*note* The above "core values" are not a doctrinal statement but rather a way of articulating our church culture.